Tuesday, March 26, 2019

21-Day Keto: Day 21 & Final Thoughts

The last day.  AKA: the day we try to finish off all the keto stuff in the fridge so we can make room for carbs.

Breakfast:  Last raspberry coconut flour muffin w/a dollop of no-sugar added peach jam I made a while back (as I said, trying to clean out the fridge), and 2 sausage links (would have been three, but the kid stole one).
Lunch: Leftover fathead pizza & veggies (no pics, I was in a training during lunch)

Dinner: Fish & Shrimp Ceviche.  Ceviche is one of my absolute favorite things in the world. If we are anywhere close to a beach, you can bet I'm going to be ordering it.  I had some leftover fish thawed from the fish tacos the other night, so I decided to attempt to make it at home. Pretty happy with the results (added avocado).
Totals: 1553 kcal, 109g fat, 40g net carbs, 92g protein

My Final Results: 6.5 lbs down from my starting weight. For comparison, I had lost about 4 lbs from mid-January to start of March (8 weeks), just by tracking food and going to the gym every so often.

The Hubs' Final Results:  6.5 lbs down initially and maintaining after 3 days off.  About 1.5 lbs of weight loss from January to start of Keto Diet (gym and some food tracking).

His Thoughts:  I didn't think it was that bad.  It's better than some other diets where you end up feeling hungry.  But I'm also blessed with a wife who did most of the cooking, and prep work, and calculating the macros for each meal.  I will say there's a lot of freedom in NOT having to count carbs, and try to keep track of every little thing.  It makes me have more of an appreciation for people who have to have a restrictive diet (no gluten, no dairy, no sugar, etc.) for actual health reasons.

For 6.5 lbs of loss, I don't know if I would say it was worth it. I think I could have gotten the same results just by going to the gym more and counting calories and eating well.  But I can see how it might benefit someone who has more weight to lose, who has already tried other diets without success.

My Thoughts: I never felt hungry, and I never had any sweets cravings, and some of the meals we had were really delicious and I would definitely eat/make again. And I think it's a good idea to be conscious of how many carbs you're taking in, but 20-30 net carbs just feels too low and too out of balance.  I love a big, gorgeous salad with mixed greens and lots of colorful fruits and veggies and nuts and protein.  And even something like that could blow through your entire carb allowance on strict keto.  

We really struggled with a lack of energy and motivation, and brain fog.  We play Peak on our phones, and we both felt like our scores stalled out while we were on keto.  Now that he's off keto, The Hubs has been setting new records on most of the games he plays.

And that kinda makes sense.  I read that the brain needs about 100g of carbs a day to function well.  And while I've read that once your brain gets used to running on ketones instead all that brain fog goes away, it can take UP TO three weeks for your brain & body to adjust to getting energy from ketones instead.  And it makes for a really rough 3 weeks.

Cost-wise, we probably saved some money by not eating out much--we usually dine out at least once or twice a week.  But grocery-wise, we usually average $67/week in grocery costs (family of 3), whereas we spent $123/week ($370 total) on groceries for the time we were on keto.  So...that's about double.  Which is manageable for some, but if you're on a tight budget, it could be really hard for a family.

I'm planning to do a follow up post in about a week.  We'll see how things go!

No comments:

Post a Comment