Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Make your own: Pumpkin Pie Spice!

Pumpkin pie spice blend is, with the exception of garlic, the most used seasoning in my house this time of year.  Heck—MOST times of the year.  I sprinkle it in my coffee, on my pancakes, in my oatmeal, muffins, candied pecans… pretty well anything that would be improved by a sweet-savory flavor.

Which also means: I run out often.  And I don’t want to rush off to the store to pay $2-4 for another one ounce jar of it.  Seriously…ONE OUNCE!  Highway robbery, I tell ya.

And yet…my standard-issue turntable spice rack has all the COMPONENTS for pumpkin pie spice on it.  RIGHT THERE.  In my KITCHEN.  Sometimes I wonder why they even still sell pumpkin spice blends.  McCormick must think none of us know how to Google.

Because he’s my kitchen science guru, I use a slightly modified version of Alton Brown’s spice blend.  Other blends tend to rely too heavily on cinnamon & don’t have enough nutmeg & cloves to get that really distinctive “pumpkin pie” flavor.

IMG_2022(I recommending mixing over a cutting board, so you don’t get spices all over your counters.)

 

Ingredients:

1 Tbsp cinnamon

1.5 tsp nutmeg

1.5 tsp cloves

1/2 tsp ground ginger

 

Directions:

Combine all spices in a small bowl & mix well.  Ta-DA!  You’re done.  Now go make some pumpkin pancakes with it. :D

IMG_2031Punkin’ pie in a pancakey vessel.  Right down to the custardy center.  NOMMMM…

No comments:

Post a Comment