Thursday, March 22, 2012

Thirsty Thursday: Microwave Mug Muffin!

Sorry, I couldn’t resist the alliteration.

What? Okay, so you can't DRINK it...but it comes in a mug... Drinks come in a mug... Follow my logic train here...

I saw the recipe for this on Pinterest a week ago.  Since I love to sleep in, I pretty well always end up eating breakfast at the office, and I figured this would be a perfect healthy breakfast option.  I can toss all the ingredients into a tupperware container the night before, grab & go, and then make it at the office.

Ingredients:

Base

  • 1/4 cup quick oats (or 1/8 cup instant oatmeal + 1/8 cup rolled oats)
  • 1 egg (or 1/4 cup egg beaters for less calories)  --NOTE: If I’m prepping this up the night before, I leave the egg whole, & then crack it when I’m actually making the muffin at work.
  • 1 tsp brown sugar
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp nutmeg
  • a pinch of baking powder (it adds a little fluffiness)
  • dash of salt
  • 1 tbsp milk

Fruit (choose one)

  • 1/8 cup blueberries
  • 1/8 cup frozen or fresh peaches, diced
  • 2-3 strawberries
  • 1/8 cup blackberries

Optional

The strawberry version is AWESOME with about 10-15 dark chocolate chips baked in as well.  Only adds about 30 calories.

 

Directions:

Couldn’t be easier.  Grab a coffee mug, mix the base ingredients together with a fork.  Then mix in your fruit (plus chocolate chips if you’re going with that option), and microwave for 1 minute.

IMG_0078

(Used a glass mug.)

After one minute, check for doneness.  If it still needs to firm up, zap it again for another 30 seconds or so.

IMG_0071(With the peaches, add in a little extra cinnamon & nutmeg & it’s like peach cobbler.)

 

IMG_0080(164 calories of pure decadence.)

 

Now, the original photo looks quite pretty, like the muffin had fluffed up over the top edge of the mug & was then removed from its container:

image

 

However, I never got this to happen. Which bummed me out because I was really looking forward to the fun photo ops, showcasing the mug I’d cooked it in:

IMG_0063(“Yeahh….I’m gonna need you to go ahead and come in on Saturday. Mmkay? Thanks…”)

 

It does grow a bit, obviously, because it’s oatmeal, but not as much as I thought it would.  So my best guess is that the original user made it in an angled coffee mug/cup, and then removed it to show the more “muffin-like” shape.  Either way, it’s still super tasty and a really filling breakfast, despite being so light on the calories.

 

NutriFacts: (Per Serving)

Calories: 134 (164 if you add 1 tsp of chocolate chips)

Carbs: 22 g

Fat 2 g

Protein: 10 g

Sodium: 126 mg

Shared on Live.Laugh.Rowe

No comments:

Post a Comment