Tuesday, June 26, 2012

A Week in the Meals of Feaux: Day Two.

The experiment continues!

Day 2: Tuesday 
Another work day, but this time I had to go in the field, which means eating out, since I’m frequently too lazy to make myself a sandwich before I leave my house at 6-7am.  Our project site has an onsite restaurant, which is a mix of good & bad.  Good, because it’s convenient, but bad because it’s a diner full of delicious fried things.

 IMG_1071
Breakfast (7am)
3/4 c (1 serving) Lucky Charms w/1/4 cup skim milk: 130 calories, 1 g fat, 4 g protein (I went with a light breakfast since I knew I’d have to eat out for lunch)
12 oz Diet Mt. Dew (I need my caffeine in the morning!)

Mid-Morning Snack (10am)
1 apple: 95 calories, 0 fat/protein


IMG_1072
Lunch (1pm)
Water with Lemon; Half-size tenderloin sandwich w/lettuce, tomato, pickle, onion, ketchup & mustard: estimate of 600 calories, 14 g fat, 26 g protein, based on various websites (since it’s a diner type place, there’s obviously not nutritional info on the menu). 

This was a judgment call, based on cash & flavor.  This diner is well-known for their pork tenderloin sandwiches, and they are QUITE delicious.  Breaded pork tenderloin is something I love, but not something I eat frequently—maybe 4x a year.  So I considered this a treat. But like all treats, one has to use moderation.  I knew their “whole size” sandwich was monolithic, so I ordered a half-size, and I opted for no side item, and just a water for my drink, and I was plenty full when I left.  This diner DOES have a wide variety of salads available, but they charge $9-10 for a salad, whereas the half-size sandwich with no fries is only $5.65.

Afternoon snack (4:30pm)
2 oz mixed nuts (pecans, almonds, walnuts) & raisins – 200 calories, 16 g fat (monounsaturated), 8 g protein


IMG_1075
Dinner (8pm)
Iced tea – 0 calories
3 oz roasted BBQ pork tenderloin – 120 calories, 4 g fat, 19 g protein
1/2 tomato w/salt & pepper – 15 calories, 0 fat/protein
1 serving of Steamable veggie medley – 80 calories, 1 g fat, 2 g protein

Total for the Day: 1240 calories, 36 g fat, 59 g protein

Woohoo!  Under target, even with that pork tenderloin sandwich!  And I never felt hungry (though I did feel a little sleepy after that sandwich).  It's all a matter of balance.

No comments:

Post a Comment