Monday, January 8, 2018

Sporkful Sauteed Broccoli

I have about an hour commute round trip each day.  I use those 5 hours each week to listen to podcasts--one of my favorites of which is The Sporkful (it's not for foodies, it's for eaters).  At the end of each Year, The Sporkful asks listeners to call in with their new year's food resolutions--the things they resolve to eat MORE of.  Last year, my thing was BREAKFAST, since I am a notorious breakfast skipper. It was hugely successful--I ate breakfast all but two days last year.  So, this year, I resolved to eat more veggies.

During one episode of The Sporkful, the host Dan Pashman noted that his favorite way to cook broccoli (specifically, broccoli stems) was to thinly slice them, saute them in duck fat, and then season with Maggi sauce.

My mouth started watering.  Duck fat has that effect on me, ever since the famous duck fat fries at the The Delachaise bar in New Orleans.
So, I hopped on Amazon & bought a jar of duck fat, and bottle of Maggi sauce, and anxiously waited for the mail to arrive.
As soon as they showed up, I ran out & bought some broccoli.

Now, I didn't exclude the florets, like Pashman had suggested, but rather tried to make "broccoli spears", so that each small floret had a thin slice of stem.  I also added a little garlic and ginger, because I love me some garlic & ginger.
It did not disappoint.  Perfectly salty and fatty, while still feeling somewhat healthy because it's fresh broccoli.  You can serve with just about anything, but I did a pan-seared chicken breast.

INGREDIENTS: (makes 4 servings)
1 Tbsp duck fat
1 tsp minced ginger (I buy the small tubes of ginger paste in the produce section)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 small head of broccoli, as "thinly sliced" as you can manage with florets still attached
Maggi sauce to taste (about 1 Tbsp)
black pepper to taste

DIRECTIONS:
In a large skillet, heat the duck fat, ginger, and garlic over medium heat until your kitchen starts to smell amazing (about 1-2 minutes).  Then add the broccoli and toss to coat.  Cover the pan with a glass lid to help the broccoli steam.  After about 5 minutes, add the Maggi sauce and toss well, and cover again, stirring occasionally.  After another 5 minutes, the broccoli should be tender.  Serve hot & season with cracked black pepper.


NutriFacts: (per serving)

  • Calories55.0
  • Total Fat3.5 g
  • Saturated Fat1.1 g
  • Polyunsaturated Fat0.5 g
  • Monounsaturated Fat1.6 g
  • Cholesterol3.3 mg
  • Sodium390.7 mg
  • Potassium253.5 mg
  • Total Carbohydrate4.5 g
  • Dietary Fiber2.3 g
  • Sugars1.3 g
  • Protein2.9 g

No comments:

Post a Comment