Tuesday, March 5, 2019

Instant Pot Shrimp & Sausage Gumbo (HAPPY MARDI GRAS!)

Happy Mardi Gras, y'all!
Tree at New Orleans International Airport (MSY).

This year, I was able to make it down to Scott, LA for their parade.  This is always my favorite:  the floats aren't anything amazing like what you see in New Orleans, but my friends live on the parade route, and they throw a big shindig with lots of food and I get to see some of my favorite people on the planet.
Yes, that is a Minion Porta-John.
Robin wins for best catch--hula dancing dolphins with coconut bras.
And I got to meet this lil' cutie, my friend B's new baby!

As per usual, since I am no longer a resident of the great state of Louisiana, I have to work on Mardi Gras. In fact, I will be in training all day learning how to use our new accounting software.  HOWEVER, we will be taking a break over lunch to have the annual Mardi Gras Potluck (coordinated each year by yours truly, because I just can't give it up.)

Last year, I made a boudin king cake, before that it was bacon gouda grit fritters w/pepper jelly sauce, then it was king cake cupcakes, and before that it was another king cake (sans boudin).  This year, a coworker is picking up a king cake kringle from Supreme Bakery here in town, so I decided to make gumbo.  I've done gumbo several times here (see list at the bottom of this post for links), but I've never made it in my Instant Pot.  So I figured...why not?

INGREDIENTS: (makes about 8-10 two-cup servings) 
* Note: if cooking for a smaller group, you can halve this recipe...or you can freeze part of it. It freezes really well.
  • 4 cups cooked brown rice (aka 2 cups uncooked rice, cooked)
  • 1 lb small or medium shrimp, tails/shells removed
  • 1 lb smoked sausage (andouille if you can find it), cut into 1/2 inch pieces 
  • 1 tsp olive oil (as needed) 
  • 1 onion, diced 
  • 1 bell pepper, diced (I used both red & green since that’s what I had on hand) 
  • 2 stalks of celery, diced 
  • 1 cup water 
  • 1 cup instant roux 
  • 3 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable stock (or 2 cups regular + 1 cup water)
  • 6 cups water 
  • 2 cups chopped okra, strung* 
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced 
  • 2 bay leaves 
  • 2 Tbsp parsley 
  • 1 tsp basil 
  • 1/2 tsp thyme 
  • 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper 
  • 1/4 tsp ground black pepper 
  • 1/2 tsp Cajun seasoning (or more to taste after cooking)

DIRECTIONS:
1) Cook the rice in your preferred method (I used the Instant Pot) and set aside.
2) Set the Instant Pot to Saute and cook the sausage (about 4 minutes). Once browned, remove the sausage and set aside in a medium bowl.
3) Put the okra in the pot and stir for about 3 minutes.  You'll see "strings" of slime coming off the okra--this is good, as cooking out the slime now will keep it from being slimy in the gumbo.  It will start to brown a bit as well, which is a good thing--adds flavor.  After the 3 minutes are up, remove the okra from the pot and set aside--you can put it in the same bowl as the sausage so you're not making extra dirty dishes for yourself.
4) Add the olive oil, onion, bell pepper, and celery to the pot and saute until softened and the onions start to go translucent (about 3-5 minutes).
5) Mix 1 cup water & instant roux together and then add to the pot, stirring until the roux thickens (just a minute or so).
 
6) Add the sausage, okra, rest of the water, chicken broth and spices to the pot and stir well--make sure nothing's sticking to the bottom of the pot.  Then lock the lid on, make sure the lid is set to "Seal", Press "Manual", and cook on "High" for 10 minutes.
7) Let the pot de-pressurize naturally (about 10 minutes), then open the lid and throw in the shrimp.  The residual heat from the gumbo will cook them without letting them get too tough & chewy.
Serve over rice (or with the rice mixed in, because my co-workers are a bunch of Yankees who aren't used to assembling their own gumbo bowls), with a side of potato salad and french bread.  
...and a side of red beans, jambalaya, veggies, Jimmy Johns, and king cake....  Because it's a potluck. And you start Keto tomorrow...so one last hurrah!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment