Tuesday, July 21, 2015

29 Weeks: More Nursery Prep & Blackberries

Welcome to the third trimester!  Hello acid reflux, heartburn, gestational diabetes test, RhoGam shot (because I'm O- blood type), nice to meet you.  I'll be honest--I'd never had acid reflux before.   I asked The Hubs what it was, and he told me it felt like burping up acid.  I said, "Oh...so...well...I thought that was just bile, but apparently I have acid reflux."  Zantac 75 is my new BFF.
(Technically 27 week photo, but you get the idea.)

The clock is swifting ticking away...NOTE: isn't it odd how units seem to make all the difference in the world when it comes to that sort of countdown?  When I think "I have about 2.5 months left", that FEELS like a longer time than "11 weeks" or *gulp* 75 DAYS.  Plus I'm in a weird spot where I don't have much baby-prep to do--I can't do much more with the nursery or organizing until after baby showers next month (since I'd rather hold off on making too many purchases until after then).  I started prepping a hospital bag--but there's only so much I can put in it that I'm not going to need at some point between now & then.  So really, it's a bag with a bathrobe, a bottle of lotion, and a hospital bag checklist sitting in it.  (I am paranoid about getting the hospital bag ready as soon as reasonable, since my cousin just had her baby 5 weeks early.)  Our chest freezer is completely full of freezer meals & the like, so there's no more room for that sort of prep...

So I guess it's time to just twiddle my thumbs for a few weekends & enjoy pre-baby life.  This past weekend we did an 11-mile float with a bunch of friends, and this weekend we'll be driving up to Kansas City for a family reunion.  Last weekend, we went berry-picking at my cousin's blackberry patch & came home with about 2 gallons' worth.  1.5 gallons went into the freezer, but the rest we either ate fresh or used to make blackberry cobbler and a blackberry-balsamic glazed chicken.


In the meantime, thought I'd share what little bit of progress we have been able to make on the nursery.  We went with a Beach theme for the nursery so that it could be gender neutral (disclaimer--please ignore the giant Yoda poster that's still hanging in many of these photos--I haven't found a good new home for him yet).


So, as a reminder, this is what our nursery looked like at the last update (24 weeks):

And this is it about 2 weeks ago:


We only have a mattress at this point (holding off on the crib until after showers), but I have it laying where we plan on putting the crib (though we have joked about not getting a crib at all & just leaving him on the mattress...I mean, it's only a 4-inch fall, right?) :)

The nightstand will be for the nursing area, and the basket on the floor is full of blankets at the moment.  The dresser is a family heirloom from the Hubs' grandparents that was in our guest room before.  The cube-bookcase is mine and had been filled with office-stuff before.  As you can see, there are several pictures that need frames or need to be hung (Ooh...frame shopping--NEW MISSION).  The hamper, believe it or not, is mine from college.  I have no idea why I kept it so long, aside from the fact that it folded up flat & was easy to store for the last 15 years or so.  There's also now a changing pad on top of the dresser.

Just a bit of beachy decor on the dresser (thinking about painting that lighthouse all one color, but I haven't decided).  No lie--I've had that little pelican for about 6 years.  I found it while shopping for a friend's baby shower gift & couldn't help myself.  So...I guess I've had my nursery theme picked out in my head for a while. :)

And of course, there IS a little Star Wars nook in the nursery. :)

Then we got the curtains hung:
Those boxes are FULL of clothes a friend gave us.  We are so good on 3-6 month clothes.  I moved everything that was 6+ months into a storage tote that's under the mattress (will eventually be under the crib), but the rest are waiting to be washed & put away. (Yes...much washing to be done before baby comes...guess I could get started on that task at some point...)

And then, this past week we found a glider on Craigslist.  Getting it home (and then IN to this room) was quite a challenge (had to take the door off the hinge), but I'm pretty happy with it.  But I'm not in love with the pattern on the cushions (plus the ottoman has some stains) so thinking about making slipcovers for it.

I found this netting in with my crafting supplies, so I decided to use it to add a little visual interest to the mirror on the dresser (and to hide the gold frame a bit).  It still needs a little tweaking, and I might add a few more bits & baubles to the net (more shells, driftwood, maybe a lil' crab...)

More updates to come in the next few weeks!  


No comments:

Post a Comment