Thursday, October 23, 2014

Thirsty Thursday: Stormy Bayou

During my last trip down South, I picked up a bottle of Bayou Distillery’s Spiced Rum. Bayou started up out in Lacassine (between Lake Charles & Lafayette, my old digs) last year.  And I mean, you know how much I love all things local—even if “local” means “someplace near where I USED to live”.  Rum, made from sugarcane, has always been closely associated with Louisiana; Kansas has their amber waves of grain, Louisiana has emerald tidal surges of sugarcane, which contribute $2 billion annually to the State’s economy. The Jesuits began making rum in Louisiana back in 1751 and it’s been a strong tradition since that time.

I love spiced rum for fall drinks, but on this particular day I was craving something a little lighter, since it hasn’t really cooled off here much.  Our leaves have only just started to change, and it’s 70 degrees right now.

IMG_6033

Our neighborhood market was running a sale on Jamaican style ginger beer, so this of course made me think of one of my favorites: the Dark ‘n Stormy.  Of course, a true Dark & Stormy has to be made with Gosling’s Black Seal rum & ginger beer…but this is our Bayou version…with a bit of a minty twist (because I planted mint this summer, and I have a RIDONKULOUS amount of it to use up.

INGREDIENTS:

2 oz Bayou spiced rum

4 oz ginger beer

juice of 1 lime

4-5 mint leaves

DIRECTIONS:

Muddle mint with the ice at the bottom of a glass.  Add rum & ginger beer.  Garnish with a lime wedge.

IMG_6037

No comments:

Post a Comment