Thursday, October 31, 2013

Thirsty Thursday Halloween Cocktail: The Dark & Stormy

T’was a dark & stormy night, the Wednesday before Halloween…quite literally, indeed. I almost lost my umbrella.  The St. Louis Cardinals were on the verge of losing the World Series, and we were sitting at one of our favorite watering holes, Ophelia’s Wine Bar.  As I studied the menu, I thought, “what drink could best signify this evening?  What cocktail most lends itself to Halloween?  And of course, what is actually going to taste good?”

And there it was on the menu, staring back at me… “The Dark & Stormy”. stormy Served in a copper tankard typically reserved for Moscow Mules, it seemed somehow appropriate for this brooding sort of night.  Though you can’t brood over the taste at all.  This is possibly one of my new favorites.  Lauded as the “official drink of Bermuda”, this delicious combination of black rum & ginger beer feels as though it should be served in a hurricane glass with an umbrella rather than a traditional tankard, but I’m not complaining. 

If you’re the type of person who WANTS to like ginger, but can’t seem to get past that “I just sprayed Pledge in my mouth” aftertaste, then this is the drink for you.  All the refreshing spiciness of ginger without the burn.

Recipe:

2 oz Goslings Black Seal Rum

6-8 oz Barritt’s Ginger Beer

1 lime wedge (it’s inside the tankard, I promise you…drowning it’s little limey sorrows)

 

Directions: Combine rum & ginger beer over ice.  Add lime.  Voila.

 

Happy Halloween, friends!  Oh, and if you’re in the Springfield area, be sure to stop by The Inside Scoop this weekend!  It’s our last weekend of the season before we close down for winter.  And if you bring the kiddos or pup by in costume, they can get a free treat!

No comments:

Post a Comment