Sunday, January 6, 2013

Semi-Homemade Ceviche!

So, did everyone have an enjoyable and safe New Year’s Eve?  Sober Chauffeur in tow (or a cabby)?  More curious—were you dressed appropriately for the weather, or were you dolled up in gravity-defying heels and sparkly Spandex that barely covers back door?  I saw an uncountable number of the latter while I was out this New Year’s Eve.  Granted, this is a college town, so maybe we’re privy to a larger ratio of these gals, but they still just leave me scratching my head.  It would be one thing if it had been 70 degrees and dry outside.  But no.  We had below-freezing temps, ice on the ground, and freezing drizzle coming down.  You couldn’t pay me enough $$$ to attempt walking in 5 inch platform heels while surrounded by black ice.  Heck…I’m relatively positive that I couldn’t do it even without the ice.  Give me cute, comfy flats any day.

Actually, in this weather, give me waterproof shoes with good tread.  That’s probably safer.

(I dub thee “Lady Faceplant”).

But they are quite festive, aren’t they?  And somewhat reminiscent of warmer climes.

Much like ceviche. (HAH—you didn’t think that segue was gonna work, DID YOU?  BAM.)

Ceviche is one of my absolute favorite foods EVER.  It’s so fresh and zesty with tons of texture and flavors, and you can eat it with a chip.  Like coastal nachos.

And since I’m planted smack-dab in the middle of the country, it’s really tough to find good ceviche…since there are no fresh shrimp.  When I visit Louisiana, my best friend & I nearly always make a trip to Coyote Blues in Lafayette for ceviche and Cajun Bloody Marys. 

So when the stores started offering 16oz cocktail shrimp rings for $4.99 around New Years, I snagged up a couple rings and dashed home to pull a Sandra Lee and take a stab at my favorite Gulf specialty.

 

INGREDIENTS:
8 oz cocktail grade shrimp, tails removed

1 avocado, diced

1 large tomato, seeds removed, diced

Juice of 1 lime

handful of fresh cilantro, minced

1/2 tsp garlic powder

1/2 tsp onion powder

1 tsp Cajun Power garlic sauce

Salt & Pepper to taste

Tortilla Chips

 

DIRECTIONS:

Pretty simple—add all the ingredients to a bowl & stir.  No special order….just mix & stir until well blended.  If you like, add more/less cilantro, S&P, and lime juice to your taste.

IMG_0017 (3)

You can eat right away if you like, but if you let it sit overnight in the fridge (covered, of course), the flavors will marinate even more.

Perfect for a party, a quick appetizer, or even as your main course!

IMG_0004

Since I didn’t have the fixin’s for Bloody Mary’s on hand, we opted for Mothers Brewery’s new “Holy Mole” instead.

IMG_0017 (2)

Makes 4 snack size servings or two entrée size servings.

 

NutriFacts: (includes tortilla chips)

Calories 302.3

  Total Fat 15.9 g

  Saturated Fat 3.1 g

  Polyunsaturated Fat 2.6 g

  Monounsaturated Fat 8.7 g

  Cholesterol 110.5 mg

  Sodium 319.9 mg

  Potassium 545.4 mg

  Total Carbohydrate 26.7 g

  Dietary Fiber 6.6 g

  Sugars 2.0 g

  Protein 16.0 g

No comments:

Post a Comment