Saturday, May 5, 2012

Roasted Cabbage Wedges.

I typically steer clear of all Martha Stewart projects & recipes, because…well, I’m not Martha frickin’ Stewart.  I don’t have 5 types of flour, 12 types of rice, or 16 flavors of olive oil in my pantry.  I don’t have a ceramic Le Creuset cassoulet dish (though I wish I did) or a double boiler, or 48 hours in my day.  Heaven help me, I don’t have any pink sea salt or smoked salt or any salts other than salt-flavored salt.

I like my recipes to have as few ingredients as possible, and as few steps as possible.  If I can go from prep-to-meal in under 30 minutes, my life is a happy place.

So, imagine my surprise when I discovered a Martha Stewart recipe that meets my requirements.

A cookie sheet?  An oven?  Some leftover cabbage?  I have all these things, Martha!

 

Ingredients:

1 small head of cabbage, cleaned & outer leaves discarded, cut into 8 wedges (I had half a head leftover, so I made 4 wedges)

olive oil (I used garlic flavored olive oil…because that’s the ONE flavored olive oil I DO have…in yo FACE, Martha.)

sea salt

cracked black pepper

lemon juice (1/2 lemon)

 

Directions:

Heat the oven to 450F.

Spread wedges on a cookie sheet, lightly drizzle (or spritz, in my case) both sides of each wedge with olive oil:

feaux 032

Then sprinkle each side of each wedge w/ some S&P.

feaux 034 

Stick in the oven & roast for 12 minutes, then flip, and roast for 12 more minutes or until the edges are brown.

Remove from the oven, and squeeze the lemon juice over the wedges.

feaux 046

WOW.  Just….WOW.  Simple, and delicious.  The sweetness of the cooked cabbage + the tart from the lemon, all enhanced by the tinge of salt?  Just perfect simplicity.  And the calories are essentially neglible.  An awesome quick side dish.

 

I served it with grilled corn on the cob & some leftover pulled BBQ chicken.

 

NutriFacts: (2 wedges per serving)

Calories 54.9

  Total Fat 1.6 g

  Saturated Fat 0.2 g

  Polyunsaturated Fat 0.3 g

  Monounsaturated Fat 0.9 g

  Cholesterol 0.0 mg

  Sodium 70.9 mg

  Potassium 440.9 mg

  Total Carbohydrate 9.8 g

  Dietary Fiber 4.1 g

  Sugars 0.0 g

  Protein 2.6 g

No comments:

Post a Comment