Thursday, December 8, 2011

Breakfast in New Orleans.

Wednesday morning, before starting my work day, I met my cousin Primo* for breakfast.  Primo is probably my closest family member, as we’re only a year apart in age, grew up living around the corner from each other, and we both escaped our tiny hometown as soon as feasibly possible.

(Names have been changed to protect the not-so-innocent.)

While my journey led me to Louisiana in 2004, Primo’s journey didn’t arrive there until 2008, when he was getting antsy in Tampa, FL & looking for a change.  He moved to Lafayette, where I was living, and got a job working as a survey hand at the same place I worked. We were roommates for about a year before Primo decided to move to New Orleans & start college.  I was moving back to Missouri, so it was a good time to part ways.

While New Orleans never felt like home to me (although I enjoyed my time there very much), the city welcomed Primo with open arms & a large bowl of gumbo, & he settled in like the Prodigal Son.  It’s nice to have family to visit when I’m in town for work now, and we try to meet some new place to eat (new to me, anyway, Primo’s tried it all & whittled through the crap for me so I don’t have to worry about finding good food). 

Now that Primo’s finishing up with school & juggling two jobs (ahh, college) we sometimes have trouble meeting up for meals, so this trip demanded that we meet for breakfast before either of us headed off into the rice fields (metaphorically speaking).

We met up at Russell’s Marina Grill in the Lakeview area, one of my favorite parts of town, nestled right up against the southern banks of Lake Pontchartrain.  This is also an area that saw about 6 feet of water after Katrina busted through the levee.  But as I drove to Russell’s, I saw elegant New Orleans style homes which had been elevated sporting fresh coats of paint, bright landscaping, and ongoing construction, which makes me very happy. 

Primo recommended the Eggs Pontchartrain:

image

Poached eggs, fried green tomatoes, and applewood smoked bacon on an english muffin with hollandaise, and home fries on the side.  YUM.

(If Primo & I were better about sharing, I possibly would have ordered the EggSaints #33, which sports alligator sausage, grilled tomatoes, and white gravy, & then we could have split them.  But he recommended the Eggs Pontchartrain, so the alligator sausage will have to wait until next time.)

Service was fast & friendly and there was no wait at all.  Prices were very reasonable in the $10-15 range for large portions.

If you’re in the Metairie area & craving a good meal, I highly recommend you seek this place out.  You won’t regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment