Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Arkansas Derby Recap: aka Horses & Headgear!

 

We had a great time down at the Derby over the weekend—won a little bit, lost a little bit, but didn’t walk away with an empty wallet.  I call that a win!

Of my three pony preferences from Saturday, two of the three won their races! Thanks to:

Beer Garden:

IMG_3277

(Sired by Tapit)

And “I Am Awesome”!

IMG_3469

(Yes, yes you are.)

Last year I didn’t bring my SLR, so this year I made sure to pack it, & my zoom lens.  It was a bright, beautiful day, perfect for racing, and photos of racing!

My favorite of the day:

IMG_3462

IMG_3343

IMG_3248

But of course, the ponies are only half the entertainment at a Derby.  Because inside, we have: The Derby Hats!

Perhaps paling only behind Royal Weddings, Derbys have been THE place to see & be seen with over the top chapeaus, sunbonnets & fascinators since 1875 (the First Kentucky Derby).  While the Arkansas isn’t quite the all-out millinery-fest as the Kentucky Derby, there’s still plenty of eye candy!

IMG_3318

IMG_3328

IMG_3329

IMG_3332

IMG_3375

IMG_3330

And our favorite…

IMG_3245

I can’t wait to see what the hats are like at the Louisiana Derby; we’re talking about flying down for it next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment