Saturday, February 17, 2024

Sourdough King Cake for Mardi Gras!

 Every year at my office, we have a Mardi Gras potluck.  One year I brought a boudin king cake; another year I made one from pre-made cinnamon roll dough. Another year I just made kingcupcakes. But I hadn't ever made one from scratch. But since I've managed to keep my sourdough starter alive for a year, I figured it was about time to try.

I found this recipe online and stayed pretty true to the recipe, but found the dough to be a bit too sticky.  I made a practice version the week before Mardi Gras--but didn't get the seams sealed well so it leaked out quite a bit, and was a bit dense.  

So for the actual Mardi Gras potluck, I decided to add about a teaspoon of active dry yeast and about 20 extra grams of bread flour. I also modified the filling: rather than mixing the butter in with the cinnamon & sugar, I spread the melted butter on the dough and then sprinkled the cinnamon sugar generously on top of that.  

I used this video to learn how to make the braid (about 15 minutes into video), since I didn't want to just do a simple roll.  

I've given up on trying to keep powdered sugar around the house. It always ends up going bad before I use the whole bag.  So I discovered I can make about 1/2 a cup in my coffee grinder, which is all I needed to make enough icing for this cake.  (You can vary the amounts of the liquids to get to your desired consistency. )

Icing:
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 tsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp vanilla 
1 tsp milk

I also made the purple, green and yellow sugar to go on top of the icing--pretty simple, just mixing a few drops of food coloring in a ziploc bag with 1/2 cup sugar per bag, then zip, and knead until color is mixed all the way through, then open the bag and spread out the sugar to let dry.

The cake turned out great, not too dense, good flavor, and no leaks!

This was probably one of our best potlucks so far!  We had red beans & rice with jalapeno cornbread, dirty rice made with collard greens & chicken andouille, shrimp boil, apples with praline dip...all the good things!


No comments:

Post a Comment