Saturday, February 17, 2024

Sourdough Discard Pie Crust and Vegetable Quiche

 If you've known me for a while, or read this blog for a while, you know we do a murder mystery party near Halloween each year in honor of our friend's birthday. This year's theme was A Knight of Murder, and my character was Poor Pearl, the peasant baker.  So I decided to bake up a "vegetable tarte" for our feast, using sourdough discard in the crust.

I used Little Spoon Farm's pie crust recipe; unfortunately I think I overworked the dough because the crust ended up slumping when I did the pre-bake.

Pre-slump.

For the filling, I used:

  • 1 Tbsp butter
  • 1/2 white onion
  • 4 oz mushrooms, sliced
  • 1 Tbsp garlic
  • 4-5 eggs
  • 1/2 cup half & half
  • 1/2 Tbsp of Adjika Georgian seasoning
  • 1 cup frozen peas
  • 1 cup cheese of your choice (I used shredded smoked gouda)
DIRECTIONS:
  1. Par bake the crust for 15 minutes at 425F, then remove.
  2. On the stovetop, sauté onions, garlic & mushrooms in the butter until soft, then place in the pie crust. Add cheese, then peas to the crust.
  3. Mix the eggs, half & half, and Georgian seasoning in a medium bowl and whisk until beaten. Pour over the vegetables & cheese.
  4. Bake at 350F for 40-50 minutes or until eggs are set.
Serve with many other amazing Medieval themed dishes whilst among friends dressed in period-appropriate garb.
Lord Taylor & Lady Gwendolyn, our fair hosts for the evening's festivities. (They literally have the BEST basement for hosting events like this.)

Many good times were had by all, and The Hubs & I were neither murdered nor the murderers.  And everything was DELICIOUS. Huzzah!
Poor Pearl the Peasant & Sir Cameron the Red Knight







No comments:

Post a Comment