Saturday, February 17, 2024

Sourdough Discard Chocolate Chip, Coconut, Carrot & Zucchini Bread

After a couple busy weeks without much baking, I had a LOT of discard to use up.  I also had this random bag of frozen "zoodles" in the freezer that we bought quite a while ago. I've used them in recipes a few different times...but they don't thaw well and become mush.  So, I thought maybe a zucchini bread might be a better option to use them up. And in an effort to sneak some extra veggies into my kids diet, I decided to shred up some carrot as well (but include chocolate chips to guarantee that he ate it--he's been known to turn up his nose at several of my sourdough concoctions). And coconut...for me. Because I like it.

INGREDIENTS (Makes 1 Loaf):

  • 3/4 cup brown sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 125g sourdough discard
  • 2 tsp vanilla
  • 1/2 cup coconut  oil (melted)
  • 175g shredded zucchini (or about 1/2 bag of thawed chopped zoodles) after removing excess moisture [Note: I made two loaves to use up all of the zoodles]
  • 75g grated carrot (I used a pretty fine grate)
  • 1.5 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 Tbsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
  • 1/2 cup shredded sweetened coconut
DIRECTIONS:
  1. Preheat oven to 350F
  2. Mix together the sugar, eggs, discard, vanilla, and coconut oil until smooth.
  3. Add in the flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinamon, and mix until just combined.  Then fold in the zucchini, carrot, chocolate chips, and coconut.
  4. Grease a 9x5 loaf pan and pour in the batter.
  5. Bake for ~60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf comes out clean.
  6. Let cool in the pan for about 10 minutes, and then transfer onto a cooling rack and allow to cool for 1 hour.
This was a really nice option to have for breakfast in the morning with a cup of coffee, or as an afternoon snack with some tea! If you wanted, you could definitely include some pecans or walnuts

No comments:

Post a Comment