Sunday, November 5, 2023

Sourdough Bagels

 Bagels are one of my favorite breakfast options--who doesn't want delicious carbs first thing in the morning!  I had never tried making them before, sourdough or otherwise. I generally just pick them up on sale, buy a container of whipped cream cheese (salmon if buying plain or everything bagels).  With my last bagel purchase, we went through the bagels faster than the salmon cream cheese, so I decided it was time to try my hand!


I used Farmhouse on Boone's recipe, (no modifications, so click that link for the recipe) which makes 8--perfect for a week's worth of breakfasts. I opted to make plain bagels, no mix-ins, but decided to top them differently: two plain, two with cinnamon sugar, 3 with everything bagel seasoning, and one with za'atar spice, which I love on naan or flatbread, so it stood to reason it would also be excellent on a bagel. (I was not wrong.)


These are super easy. I don't know if I'd go as far as to say "I'm never buying bagels again!" because I'm not an extremist and don't believe in absolutes, but I can say I WILL make these again at some point, the next time I'm craving bagels. I might try some add-ins, but maybe not--it's really easy to make one batch of plain and then season them differently. 



I would recommend going ahead and slicing these while at room temp after they bake. We store our bread in the fridge and these are VERY difficult to slice while cold.  But we could pop them into the microwave for about 10-15 seconds and then they sliced easily.  





No comments:

Post a Comment