Saturday, September 2, 2023

Seeded Sourdough Loaf

After the flaxseed loaf last week I wanted try using some other seeds in bread.  I found this recipe online and wanted to give it a whirl. We already had the sunflower and flax seeds on-hand, so I picked up some sesame & poppy seeds from the bulk section at Mama Jeans

The dough was fairly sticky, but I opted to not add extra flour and just see if the water would absorb over time.  

We let it rise while out running errands, and it had doubled by the time we got home.  For the last couple loaves, I've used active (room temp after sitting out of the fridge overnight) unfed starter with a little bit of rye flour (about 10g) replacing some of the recipe's bread flour. This seems to be enough to boost the activity though the dough does take a little longer to rise.

After doubling, I shaped it into an oblong loaf, put it in a rattan basket with floured tea towel, and let it cold ferment in the fridge overnight.  In the morning, it had puffed up nicely.

Transferred that onto parchment on a hot baking stone, along with a pan of boiling water on the lower rack to add some steam.  

Unfortunately, I didn't score the top as well as I should have, so the loaf....got it's own ideas on where to split & rise...

The Rated-G side...


The....not so Rated G side.



The crumb and flavor turned out well--not too crumbly, great for toast, garlic bread, and sandwiches on the river.






No comments:

Post a Comment