Friday, August 11, 2023

Sourdough Pop-Tart Toaster Pastries

 I realize I just said in my last post that we needed to make fewer sweets with the sourdough discard...but I was craving pie crust, yet we didn't have enough eggs for a quiche or other savory option.  So...pop-tarts* it is. 

*I don't think I can get sued by Kellogg's, right?  Fine..."toaster pastries".  


I used Little Spoon Farm's recipe, with minor modifications:

  • we made a double batch because I needed to use up a lot of discard 
  • I used lemon juice in place of the vinegar (because we apparently don't own white vinegar)
  • No icing--I was running out of time so we just put cinnamon sugar on top after the egg wash
  • Filling: the double batch made 8 pastries, so we put strawberry jam in 2, peach jam in 3, and a mix of brown sugar & mini chocolate chips in the last 3.  The chocolate ones were the only pastries that didn't leak and weren't messy to eat, so if I did these again, I might make them all chocolate, possibly with marshmallow bits too.

Heads up--because the dough needs time to chill, DO NOT wake up at 7am and think you'll be able to make this in time before church at 9am.  I should have read the instructions better and made the dough the night before.  Learn from my mistakes. 


"S" for strawberry.

 These reheat in the toaster really well, though a few of them were almost too big--they wouldn't fit on their side and when put in the toaster vertically, the top inch or so still stuck out.  Aside from that minor issue, this was a pretty easy recipe and a good way to use up some discard, especially if you're craving pie crust. The original recipe calls for 25-30 minutes, but I found that 35-40 minutes in our oven got the best amount of crisp bottom and edges (had to bake them in two batches). I also recommend lining your cookie sheet with foil or parchment because the jam DOES leak out the edges.



No comments:

Post a Comment