Sunday, July 9, 2023

Sourdough Naan & Beef Aloo Keema

 One of my go-to dinner options is this Indian (Americanized, I'm sure) dish, with ground meat, potatoes (aloo) and peas (keema).  Meat, potatoes, a vegetable, a sauce, all in one pot. It's PERFECT, and DELICIOUS.  Because it's an Indian dish, beef is a very atypical protein to use (I usually do ground chicken or turkey)--BUT...we have a quarter of a cow in our freezer, and I was making this on the 4th of July so... 'Merica.


I usually buy some naan from Aldi when the craving to make keema hits. But, now we have sourdough starter.  So I used my discard and this recipe from Little Spoon Farm, and roughly 8 hours later, we have delicious homemade flatbread. The only deviation I made from their recipe was using sour cream instead of plain greek yogurt.

This is probably one of the easier recipes I've made.  Just mix everything up together into a ball, cover and let hang out for 6-8 hrs, then divide into 8, flatten/stretch, and fry in a little bit of olive oil in a hot skillet.  I was able to cook the naan one at a time while making the beef aloo keema in a separate pot on the stovetop.

The original recipe calls to cook this in a cast iron pan, and I would probably echo that in retrospect.  My non-stick worked pretty well, but after making eight flatbreads (roughly 30-40 minutes of cook time) I had quite the accumulation of dark burnt oily residue in the pan.  Took a lot of baking soda, a toothbrush, and elbow grease to knock that out.




No comments:

Post a Comment