Sunday, May 14, 2023

Sourdough Stories #16: Mixed Berry Sour Cream Discard Muffins

 This is officially my new favorite recipe for using up discard.  Just gonna say that up front.  Just the right amount of sweetness.  In the rearranging of our freezer to make space for our 1/4 cow, I found a bag of frozen mixed berries.  Perfect for smoothies & muffins!  I also needed to use up some sour cream, so this seemed like an excellent opportunity.

The base recipe for the muffins I made is here, but I made enough modifications that I'll go ahead & post my recipe here.

INGREDIENTS:

  • 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 8 Tbsp margarine (like Country Crock)
  • 2/3 cup white sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 Tbsp lemon juice
  • 100 g sourdough discard
  • 2 cups frozen mixed berries (tossed with 1 Tbsp flour)
  • 3/4 cup sour cream
DIRECTIONS:
  1. Preheat oven to 400F.
  2. Cream the butter & sugar together, then add the eggs one at a time, along with the lemon juice.  
  3. Gently fold in the sourdough discard.
  4. Mix in half the sour cream, then half the flour, then repeat.
  5. In a separate bowl, toss the frozen berries in 1 Tbsp of flour.  
  6. Fold the berries into the batter.
  7. Portion the dough into a muffin tin (made about 18 for me).  I love these silicone cupcake liners!
  8. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.



No comments:

Post a Comment