Monday, May 23, 2016

World's Best Grilled Cheese

Well...at least that's my humble opinion.

I was packing myself a lunch for work when this sandwich occurred to me.  We had some cinnamon swirl bread that needed to be used up--apparently I wasn't going through it fast enough just with breakfast nomming.  And then I saw the pepper jelly, and had an A-HA moment.

Sweet sauce?  Sweet bread!  Makes sense!

INGREDIENTS:
2 slices cinnamon swirl bread
2 slices Swiss cheese (provolone or pepper jack would also go really nicely)
2 oz deli-sliced chicken (I like the Rotisserie Seasoned from Oscar Meyer)
1 Tbsp Tabasco pepper jelly
1/2 Tbsp light mayo (NOT Miracle Whip)

DIRECTIONS:
Slather the mayo on to one side of each of the slices of bread.  You're using this instead of butter for frying.  Just...trust me.  Seriously.

Place one slice of bread in the skillet, mayo-side down, then add cheese, pepper jelly, chicken, the other slice of cheese, and the other piece of bread (mayo-side up).  Flip once golden (about 3-4 minutes), and cook until the other side matches. (Note: my second side always seems to cook faster than the first--anyone else notice this?)

Let rest briefly so that the cheese can bond with it's fellow sandwich-mates, and then cut in half (if you desire. I won't force you.  I like triangles myself).  Serve with a side of...well, whatever! Maybe chips and a pickle, maybe just a variety of veggies.  It's totally up to you.
The end result is a sweet, salty, slightly spicy, crispy sandwich that will having you wishing you'd made two.

NutriFacts:
Calories: 399
Fat: 14.3 g
Fiber: 0.8 g
Carbs: 45.8 g
Sodium: 1253 mg
Protein: 16.1g

No comments:

Post a Comment