Sunday, December 20, 2015

Pecan Sweet Potato Casserole

I made this dish for Christmas last year, and now I think it's my "signature" dish that I'm required to bring to all holiday functions.  Even the kiddos loved it (who previously wouldn't eat sweet potatoes)-- "it tastes like pie!" they told me.  Honestly, I didn't eat sweet potatoes at the holidays until I was in college--even that weird coating of marshmallows couldn't entice this kid to try them.  However, if the sweet potato casserole at my family functions would have looked like this, I probably would have tried them a lot sooner!
Looks more like my mom's apple crisp, and less like somebody baked a box of Lucky Charms.

This is also great if you have to travel for the holidays--you can make the two parts separately ahead of time, refrigerate, and then put the topping on the casserole when you get where you're going and just bake for 30 minutes.

What I also love?  This is SUPER easy to make.  Even with a fussy 2 month old in the next room.  AND you can take super-cute Christmas photos of him after you put the casserole in the oven.


INGREDIENTS:
filling:
3 cups cooked & mashed sweet potatoes
1/3 cup sugar
1 Tbsp vanilla
1/2 Tbsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
2 eggs
1/2 cup half & half
topping:
1 stick butter, room temperature
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup rolled oats
1 cup chopped pecans

DIRECTIONS:
Start with the topping, as you'll want to chill it after all the ingredients have been combined--this results in a beautifully crisp crumble topping.
Combine the topping ingredients in a medium sized bowl, using a pastry cutter or a fork until crumbly.  Stick in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350F, and lightly spray a 9"x 13" pan with oil or cooking spray.
For the filling, combine all the ingredients in a large bowl or stand mixer and blend until thoroughly mixed.  Then place in the baking dish, and add the crumble topping.  Bake for 30 minutes, and then allow to cool for about 5-10 minutes before serving.



No comments:

Post a Comment