Monday, February 3, 2014

Daniel Fast Day 1, & Veggie Burritos

So… Day 1.  As predicted, I’ve been dragging butt today!  While I’ve managed to avoid caffeine withdrawal headaches so far, they may be impending.  We’ll see what the next few days bring.  And since I’m tired from the lack of caffeine, I’ve also been a bit snippy…so…for that, I apologize to my coworkers. :D

Normally, I would have prepared us a big batch of something-or-other for lunch over the weekend, but with the SuperBowl yesterday, I didn’t have a chance.  So that means breakfast & lunch today were a bit thrown together.

Breakfast: 1 cup oatmeal w/ 3 diced strawberries & some cinnamon:  Not. Enough. Cinnamon.  I had hoped our strawberries would be sweet enough to save the day…but alas…not quite. I’ll try a different fruit tomorrow.

IMG_20140203_090738

Lunch: 2 Tbsp garlic hummus, ¼ cup baby carrots, 1 cup mixed fruit (leftover from the SuperBowl party last night—the only thing we got to keep, sadly), ½ cup yellow cherry tomatoes, and unsweetened applesauce.  Pretty lacking in protein, but it kept me full.

IMG_20140203_120321

Afternoon snack: ½ package of smoked almonds. YUM.

Dinner: Veggie Burritos wrapped in Multigrain Flax Flatbread.  DEFINITELY yum.

IMG_4032

Ingredients:  (makes 4-6 servings)

1 Tbsp olive oil, divided

1 sweet potato, peeled & cubed

2-3 Tbsp taco seasoning (chili powder, cumin, paprika, garlic salt, cayenne)

1/2 green bell pepper, diced

1/2 onion, sliced thin

4 white mushrooms, sliced

1 can black beans, rinsed

1 can sweet corn, drained

1 can Ro-Tel, drained

1/2 cup sliced cabbage

fresh cilantro

Flat-Out Multigrain Flatbread w/Flax

 

Directions:

Toss the sweet potatoes, 1/2 Tbsp olive oil, and 1 tsp of the seasoning mix together, and then roast for 30 minutes at 375.

On the stove top, combine the remaining ingredients (minus cabbage, cilantro & flatbread) and cook for 20-30 minutes over medium-low heat. 

IMG_4031

 

Today’s Devotional: Matthew 5:3 – ‘You’re blessed when you’re at the end of your rope.  With less of you, there is more of God & His rule.’ I don’t know of a more appropriate verse to use to begin this twenty-one day adventure.  You may feel weak already just thinking that there are still twenty days left and you have just  begun, but let me reassure you His strength is made perfect in our weaknesses. Get your focus  off of yourself and think of someone else you know that really needs your prayer today. Let  this verse be the foundation of your prayer for them. “

Makes sense:  Rather than dwelling on how tired and cranky I am, or how good my coworker’s coffee looked this morning (Whipped cream? Seriously?  You’re killing me, Smalls!) or how good my other co-worker’s pizza lunch smelled (mmm…Totino’s…), I should reflect on how blessed I am, and focus on someone else who needs God’s assistance more than I do.  I may miss pizza, but I have plenty of food…meanwhile there are people out there who don’t have lunch today, or maybe don’t have coworkers to be snippy at because they don’t have a job right now.  My life is good, and I am contented.

So I picked a few friends and family members who all have their own personal issues going on, and said a prayer for each of them: for health, for new job opportunities, for rocky pregnancies and premature babies, for marital and financial peace.

Tonight, I’ll be making some infused water to help keep cravings curbed, and portion out some breakfast & lunch options to make mornings smoother for the rest of the week.

Photo Feb 03, 5 59 41 PM

1 comment: