Sunday, February 26, 2012

Louisiana “Truck Stop” Chicken

Hey there kids, here’s one of those Kitchen Improv recipes.  This recipe gets its name because, well, most of the ingredients were, in fact, purchased at a truck stop in Louisiana. 

As you know, I have a tendency to smuggle my favorite Louisiana products back to Missouri with me when I visit down South.  During my last adventure, I stopped at a truck stop near Franklin, Louisiana, on my way from Lafayette to New Orleans, and I picked up a bag of Zapp’s “Voodoo” Chips and some pork rinds.

The Voodoo chips are my favorite Zapp’s blend—the story goes, someone in the Zapp’s kitchen accidentally knocked several spices off a shelf, and when they tasted what had spilled, it was pretty darn tasty!  And they recreated the happy accident & started selling them.  It’s sort of a blend of salt & vinegar, BBQ, dill, and….well, probably everything else.  It’s delicious, that’s what it is!

I could easily nom down a bag of these chips in one sitting by myself, but the pork rinds were purchased more for my husband.  We ate about half the bag, and then I had an apostrophe.

hook-530-051911 copy

“Lightin’ has just struck my brain.” “Well, that must hurt.”

 

I know back during the Atkins phase, using pork rinds as an alternative for breading on chicken was pretty popular.  And I’ve seen potato chips used as breading before as well… so why not mix them together?

Ingredients:

2 oz bag of your favorite potato chips (The more flavor, the better)

2 oz bag of pork rinds

1 tsp Cajun seasoning

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts

1 egg

 

Directions:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Pulverize the pork rinds & chips using your favorite method (we used a food processor, but a blender would also work, or if you prefer a non-mechanize method, you can put them in a large freezer bag & smash with a rolling pin.)  Add Cajun seasoning & mix well & place in a large bowl or lipped plate.

Crack egg into a bowl & beat until well blended.

Create a work station to keep things organized & cut down on messes:

IMG_0065

Dip the chicken in the egg wash until well coated—then let excess drip off.  Drop chicken into the chip/pork rind breading mixture & toss to coat fully.  Then transfer chicken to a roasting pan with a wire rack.

IMG_0072

Bake for 30 minutes or until no pink remains.

Serve with your favorite non-truck stop side dish (we went with steamable pasta & broccoli).

IMG_0076

Makes 4 servings.

NutriFacts:

Calories 234.8

Total Fat 11.1 g

Saturated Fat 3.6 g

Polyunsaturated Fat 2.8 g

Monounsaturated Fat 1.3 g

Cholesterol 75.3 mg

Sodium 421.2 mg

Potassium 386.2 mg

Total Carbohydrate 7.3 g

Dietary Fiber 0.7 g

Sugars 0.0 g

Protein 25.1 g

Shared on The Sweet Spot

No comments:

Post a Comment