Monday, November 7, 2011

Music Monday: Mike Dean

Last week I mentioned the Blue Moon Saloon in Lafayette, Louisiana--here's a guy I heard play there multiple times.



Mike Dean hails from the Lafayette area, and though he markets himself as more of a songwriter, he's a pretty well known musician around the southern Louisiana area. His style has been referred to as "Americana", "Country", "Outlaw Rock"...I just call it "good".

When I was still living in Louisiana, I worked for a survey/environmental consulting firm....and Mike worked as a survey man for one of our biggest competitors. But as someone who's been a surveyor, I have a lot of respect for a musician who earns his wages working under the Louisiana sun in 115% humidity.

(this is an entirely different Mike--one of my coworkers--but you get the idea. And it was more impressive than the one I have of ME wearing waders:)



ANYWAY...
The video below is one of my favorite songs. I first heard it in 2008 while working on a 5 month pipeline job in Mississippi; we spent a week in the field, then a week in the office while a separate team was out there, then we went back the week after that. For 5 months. Needless to say, I've seen a lot of Mississippi. And while this song was written for the oilfield workers who have to fly out to the offshore rigs (like the BP Horizon rig I'm sure you're all familiar with):



My crew & I can attest to the fact that it's just as applicable for anyone who has to be away from their family for a week at a time. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.





Dean's CD's are available for mp3 download from Amazon.com for $8.99 each:

2004's Hours Later
2006's Must Have Had a Good Time
2008's Woods

2 comments: