Friday, December 2, 2011

Thirsty Thursday: Pumpkin-Cranberry Screwdriver

 

I am a little proud, because I concocted this cocktail all by my very own self.  *pats self on back, gives self a cookie.*

I got the idea because Louisiana Satsuma oranges are in season right now. Satsuma's are in the mandarin orange family & grow in abundance down in Louisiana. They have a sweet and somewhat mild flavor, but I love them in contrast to regular oranges because Satsumas have hardly any seeds!  Their season peaks from October to December, so they are likely available in your local produce section!

image

So, anyway…I have all this delicious Pumpkin Syrup in my fridge from the Drunken Pumpkin last week, and I’ve been trying it in or on almost everything… plain yogurt, hot chocolate, chai tea, coffee, on the Cranberry-Orange Scones, mixed with butter & spread on toast…seriously, everything.

But I also made another cocktail with it. 

Ingredients:

1 highball glass with ice…to this, add:

2 oz vodka

3 oz freshly squeezed satsuma orange juice (or just regular orange juice if you can’t find satsumas)

1/2 oz lemon juice

1 oz pumpkin syrup

1 spoonful of cranberry-orange sauce (or just a couple maraschino cherries)

 

And, ta-da. 

image

(Stock photo, because I forgot to take a pic.)

Citrusy & spicy and a little sweet, & just darn good.

NOTE: if you do find them & decide to make your own juice, be sure to save the peels.  Then put them in a pot of water with a teaspoon of cinnamon & boil for a while…your house will smell AMAZING!

No comments:

Post a Comment